The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program in Sports Leadership, Fitness and Performance gives students an opportunity to specialize, gain qualifications, and plan a career pathway in various areas of the Sport sector while still in high school. The SHSM Program has a number of required components, designed to give students a “head start” to pursue post-secondary opportunities in each of the identified sectors, valuing apprenticeship, college, university and direct entry into the world of work.
The SHSM Experience
- Gain an awareness of career opportunities in the Sport sector
- Participate in workshops and sessions with industry professionals
- Incorporate treatment techniques for injury rehabilitation and prevention
- Learn a variety of kinesiology, sport medicine and athletic therapy applications
- Attain practical certifications in coaching, training and officiating
- Develop transferrable skills compatible with multiple pathways to all post-secondary destinations